what are you listening to?
July 1, 2010 § 5 Comments
i expect you to answer that question at the end of this blog. but i’ll go first. it starts with hillsong united and ends with michael jackson. what?! i know. i kinda jump around and there’s no real theme or fluidity – just randoms that i like. some have special meaning, some resonated with my heart over the past year, and some resonate with my heart now. some i like to dance to. some i like to sing REALLY loudly in my car. some are old some are new. anyways, you’re free to have your opinion and if you don’t like ’em that’s okay with me. this is my blog 🙂
1. like incense/sometimes by step – hillsong united – gosh. i literally can’t stop listening to this song. i’m obsessed. i love brooke fraser for so many reasons, and this is one of them. this is really one of the most moving, intimate worship songs that i’ve heard in a while. i really can’t do much of the christian music that’s out there, but i do love me some hillsong. this song especially has an effect on my heart, and the lyrics are such a great response. obsessed.
2. if you wanna go – joy williams – okay, i know that when you saw “joy williams” you probably instantly thought of supper cheese christian music, like circa 1997 pop hits, right? that’s okay. you can admit it. well, it seems like our girl joy has actually been putting out some better music recently. a couple of ep’s with deeper lyrics…and she’s part of a duo called the civil wars. and i really like them. anyways, i’m not really sure how i found this song. i don’t think it’s on any specific albm, but somehow i found it. and WORE it OUT the first couple of weeks…
3. progress – mutemath – i mean, anything by mutemath i’ll probably love. but for some reason i just love listening to this song. i honestly don’t know if i could recite any of the lyrics off the top of my head…but i think it’s the music. honestly, any song will lure me in if the music is good. and it’s REAL good on this one. at least i think so.
4. jigsaw – mates of state – i’m fairly new to mates of state, but i really like them. this is song is just kinda light and fun. an easy listen i suppose.
5. your protector – fleet foxes – i don’t really listen to a lot of this band, but i have found a couple of songs that i like. this is one of them. it’s kinda sounds like this song should have been recorded in another decade/year. definitely not 2008.
6. the grey man – copeland – let’s be honest, anything by copeland i will like. one of my favorites. they can do no wrong in my book.
7. shelter – ray lamontagne – you know, ray lamontagne is just a good choice all around. sometimes i want to marry his voice. it’s just so different…such rasp. like he’s been chain smoking and yelling really loudly all day and then he sits down to sing a song. i’m a fan.
8. my delirium-ladyhawke – i don’t really know when i first heard this song, but it’s fun. so i added it to the list.
9. dog days are over-florence and the machine – this one is just fun too. i think i heard it on “the city”. (yes, i watch lame mtv shows. don’t judge me.) that’s all.
10. the only exception – paramore – i used to run to paramore a lot my freshman year of college. literally, i would run to their whole album “riot” just because it was crazy loud and upbeat the whole way through. well, i heard this song on a tv special that featured them a couple months ago. again, i don’t really know why i like it. i just do.
11. happier- a fine frenzy – man, i really like a fine frenzy. i can listen to them pretty consistently and not really get tired of it. their lyrics are super creative and cute. kinda girly at times, and i like. one song from their first album says, “like an apple on a tree – hiding out behind the leaves – i was difficult to reach – but you picked me. like a shell upon a beach – just another pretty piece – i was difficult to see – but you picked me. yeah, you picked me.” um…let’s just say if i could sing that about boy i’d be one happy girl.
12. the reeling – passion pit – i just like passion pit. this is a “roll down the windows, and BLARE it” kind of song. i’m a fan of the electronica feel too.
13. just say yes – snow patrol – i heard a clip of this song from a romantic comedy movie preview. i kept hearing it over and over and was so frustrated because i knew the voice, but i didn’t know the song. so i finally looked it up and duh. it’s snow patrol. anyways, it’s such a chick movie song, but i don’t care. i’m a girl, and i get suckered in by lovey music sometimes.
14. can’t change my mind – matthew mayfield – this is another guy whose voice i love. it’s just raw and a little raspy too. he has some other great songs that i like: “first in line”, “element”, “open road” and more…he’s a good one.
15. you rock my world – michael jackson – okay. michael jackson is a genius. let’s just get that out of the way. even if you’re not a fan you have to admist that he’s a dang good entertainer. i’ve been on a big mj kick recently and he is just…so stinkin’ good. i’ve also become a little fascinated with his life and death since the year anniversary was a couple days ago. i really watched a ton of unnecessary documentaries/specials about his life happenings. man, i would not want to be in his shoes. he had some serious daddy issues. it’s one of those moments where you really wish they knew Jesus, you know? anyways, i could’ve put a number of songs of his on this list like, “human nature”, “they don’t care about us”, “i just can’t stop lovin’ you”, “the girl is mine”….the list goes on and on…
so i hope you liked the list. it’s not very cohesive, i know. i’ll try to do better next time.
so, what are you listening to? favorite song? favorite artist? do share.